Geige mit Mönchkopf

• If the value is that much, go ahead and sell it to the luthier in polish ;) In the rest of the world, you will get something from 200 to 500 euro (best case). If you expect more value, please do not hesitate to sell it for more or keep it.
    The collectors from today, do know very well, that such violins have a minor value. But it is allowed to try getting more money ;) best wishes.

• Braaatsch Show me such a violin or similar on ebay :) As I you understand, you can better measure the instrument than a luthier having his hand in it (luthier not a polish guy).

I do not sell them at the moment. Luthier does not buy, luthier repairs and measures instrument :)
    I wrote this as information and nothing else.

I do not speak about the rest of the world but (and though I am far from comparison) but...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQU…b3c3a2:g:Ug0AAOSw32lYpiqA
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-o…033c61:g:ujkAAOSw4shX-nQ4

• There are always way to expensive violins at ebay. You need to look at the ones that actually got sold.
    Dont misjudge me, if you find somenody willing to pay 3000€ I feel happy for you.
    If you dont want to sell its fine too, but I would not pay 3 bucks for that.

• Both Ebay instruments are bohemian, not italian and not from the 18th century. There is a german seller as well, selling cheap eastern european copies as "old italians". I always think how to make him stop that, as in my eyes this is a criminal. Do not trust any Ebay advertisement. I have seen cheap bohemian "Stradivaris" advertised for 10.000, or asking a Mercedes for change... ;) So, as the others say: you have to look for those instruments which have been sold...so you know, what people really pay for these instruments (i.e., what you can get, =the real value).

Speaking of Ebay: You can get much higher prices in US and Asia for those old violins, as they are much more rare there. In Germany,myou find them everywere, but in the US you find a lot of cheap chinese instruments, so these old saxonian/bohemian instruments are more expensive there, as they are considered "antique" and are often better than the cheap chinese instruments. I know the prices of the german market, and I judge on that.

Nope, I do not think that I can judge an instrument better than somebody who has it in his hands. As I told you, I could not judge the sound, and the sound is a concern. If a violin like that sounds like a 5000 Euro instrument, it may be worth that. If it sounds like 200, it is not more worth than that (ok, you can add something for the design, but not endless amounts...).

If you read through all my post here, you will find:
    1. I allways recommend judging instruments at the luthier, as pictures are not the same as having the instruments in the hand
    2. I always say, that sound is a concern and determines the price
    3. and nearly everybody reports that their violin sounds fantastic. I hardly read a thread here saying my violon is sounding average, has some problems on the g-string, sounds thin....ALL violins (nearly...) here are sounding in "soloist quality", and the same is true in the advertisements on Ebay...

And yes, there ARE these catalogues showing that these instruments are not unique masterpieces. Sorry for being honest with you.. ;)

The thing is: I have no gain and no loss in telling you my true opinion based on the market in Germany. I do not get anything by telling you a smaller value (No, I do not want to buy your violin... ;) )
    I do that in my freetime, just for helping people , and there is no money I receive from somewhere. I do not get money based on the value I predict.Nothing like that. I just invest my time in other peoples problems, just for free...

So why, WHY should I tell you something which I think is wrong? I told you my opinion, and I stand my ground. Sold anonymously via the internet (so no sound testing!), nobody will pay you 3000(except somebody who has no clue...).

There is always a difference between the "value" told by luthiers and the real value. The first is used for insurances, and is often higher. The second one you only get, if you go to a luthier, ask him whether he would BUY that intrument, and how much he WOULD REALLY PAY. And THIS is more of the realistic value. Try that with different luthiers, and take the average.

• Braaatsch I know and understand all that you are talking about.
    I also do not say that my violin is a masterpiece, may not be unique, although other such and not seen and not found (worth so much and not, for example, € 100,000 as a modern copy of old instruments performed by current masters), but it is a solid Instrument and well done, with a good sound and how I think from here such a valuation of the lute. I did not value the violin and I did not fix it because I did not know it.
    I rely on the knowledge of a person who knows and not on my, own feelings. You are writing about lutheras and at the same time about Polish luthier saying "polish guy". It was not nice and polite.
    You sent me on Ebay because these links are the only violin that is similar to mine. Show other similar, and then you can discuss about the valuation of the luthier.
    Once again he says he does not want to sell them, sell them on Ebay or anywhere else
    This is not an instrument to be insured, and the difference between the valuation and the real price will always be because if someone wants to buy something for resale it must be lower than the price of the item.

Read what he writes and how j_g_Gütter - you think you should write so?

• Actually I know a pretty equvivalent violin in person, a friend owns it. He also added a c string as fith string for resonances (like a harding).
    That specific violin is very easy to play and has a decend sound but only one colour. I would not be able to play for example the Mendelssohn concerto with it, it would sound boring.
    The violin of my friend is a wellbuild violin but not a luthier violin.
    100k for a modern violin is very very rare, and certanly not just copys. You get violins from the best luthiers of our time from 20-50k. Thode are incredible instruments and master pieces, a whole different world!
    If you talk about a copy, you usually mean violins not made by luthier masters.
    Luthier masters usually orientate on shape and sizes of a few old masters like del gesu or strad, but they dont try to do a 1:1 copy and therefore put their own name into it.
    Hargraves violins look much alike the old italiens but are cleraly marked as his violins.

• I am very eager to see a violin like mine (please upload pictures here).
    As I understand you want to say that the violin in the shape of Gusetto - so we call it (Stradivarius also in this shape built violin, but also eg Caspar Tieffenbrucker) are easier to build? I'm not so sure and for some reasons, but I'm not a luthier so I will not speak.

On the subject of Mendelssohn's concert I will not speak for you in the performance because you and I do not know anything about you. I am just so unhappy to say so much about an instrument you have not heard.
    Price € 100 000 is an example, maybe 20 or 50 thousand. Exactly another world, so I do not compare my violins to them (but also the price is generally lower).
    As for copying, I think you're wrong, because many well-known luthiers make copies of old instruments for sale or to order violinists.
    We wrote about the fact of the untypicalness and less acceptance of other forms of violin than we have written in this thread.

• I am sorry that you took "polish guy" as a bad phrase- it was definitely not meant rude!!! Sorry for that! I see myself as a german guy, but maybe this is a misleading phrase.

Sorry for my bad english, but my opinion remains the same. Just to come to an end of this discussion: We have just an different opinion of the value of your instrument. That's all. :) Nothing more. I tried to explain why I come to my opinion, but I totally accept that others have a different view.

No, I do not think that your violin was easy to built. It is very hard to make all these decorations, to make them fit so well. Unfortunately, this increased work is not necessarily reflected in the price today.

• If I see the violin next time I can take a snapshot. I was trying to describe the sound of his violin, I dont know anything about yours.
    Actually I dont think they are easier to build, just different, but that is not really the point.

• For those, who know the violin market, they will never pay over 500 euro for such a violin.
    But, for someone who is new in the market, it may be a fine piece of art and will pay 1'000 or more euro.
    Of course, it is a fine piece of art (many hours of work), but it is not a special piece of art from a luthier or dealer perspective.
    That's the reason, a luthier is not interested to buy and sell the violin.
    Believe me, he would be interested in a fine old french or italian violin :)
    Anyway, for the violin owner, his instrument is always the best.