Geige mit Mönchkopf

• Hallo,

Ich habe eine Geige Gusetto modelliert. Ich versuche, um zu bestimmen, woher sie kommen können, die sie gemacht haben und was ist ihre Geschichte. Einige von euch wissen etwas über sie, oder es kann vielleicht zeigen an, wo Informationen zu finden.
    Vielleicht kommen die Band aus Hofkapelle oder religiösen oder kirchlichen.
    Alle Tipps, Ratschläge und Informationen sind wertvoll für mich.
    --------------------------

Hello,

I have a violin modeled Gusetto. I'm trying to determine where they can come from, who made them and what is their story. Maybe some of you know something about them, or it may indicate where to find information.
    Perhaps the band come from court or religious or ecclesiastical.
    Any tips, advice and information is precious to me.

• These violins were made in Bohemia around 1900. They were mass products, and were supposed to look like old instruments. Comparable to the "historism" in art history and architecture, they combined several historic styles to meet the taste of the people of that time. In architecture, you find the same thing: houses having fortress-like elements and belle epoque patterns.

• Thanks for the information.
    If this is a basic commodity that's why I can not find any similar? Should be present in large quantities as Stradivarius, Amati etc from the area of the Czech, Czechoslovakia and Saxony.
    Have you seen a violin or had them in their hands?
    Is the head monk was a recurring theme? For example, Polish luthier Marcin Groblicz in his violin placed a dragon's head.
    Is manufactories used the principle of reproducibility.

• Yes, they are not as common as all these Stainer's, Amati's and Stradivari's, but as they were listed in the catalogues of the instrument companies, I consider them mass products- even though they were not produced as often as the other instruments (=these Gusettos were more expensive (carved head, inlayed patterns…), but not better in sound quality (on the contrary, they changed backplate thickness for being decorative…!).

I use the term "mass product" just to make clear that this is not a very valuable, unique masterpiece with a connection to the church. It is an "oddity", and because of that there may (!) be collectors. But it is not more than that.

• Thank you for all information and comments. They are valuable and informative to me.
    It is not about their "value" and more atypical. Violators played (test) music school teachers and sounded like. Violinists have a "dark" sound (Pirastro Tonica strings) as defined as a viola.
    Comparing to my Stradivarius Karl Hofner (the year of construction between 1920 - 1940), they have a much nicer, sounding voice.

Can you somehow specify in what manufactory or by whom they were made?

Since you are talking about price, how much such violin can be worth (though I do not intend to sell them and keep them as a curiosity).

• I would not sell it either, because they are not as common as other violins and have this special look….

And sound is very often a matter of luck. Some of these old saxon/bohemian violins sound amazing, the next one looking completely similar does not sound good at all…. I have an saxon violin, which is one of the cheapest, quite ugly, and which has repairs so badly made that I never could sell this instrument…But I never want to sell it. The sound is good, and comparable to an 1800-2000 Euro violin. NORMALLY instruments like this do not sound good, and I would never buy a violin like that. But this one is simply great.

So I totally believe that YOUR Violin sounds good, even though most of them don't.

The price depends on the sound, and whether you deal with a collector or not. A lot of orchestra players like more "common-looking" instruments, but fiddlers from folk bands or re-enactment guys may pay lots more because of this special look. At Ebay, instruments like that sell for 150-300 Euro.

Origin: Instruments like that were listed -as far as I know- in several catalogues. I cannot help you there, because I do not owe these catalogues. The "Musikinstrumentenmuseum Markneukirchen" has these catalogues (at least some of them). The have a Forum as well, and maybe they can help you there. If you are in that region, I would recommend visiting the museum, MAYBE they allow you to look into these catalogues (they are on display,so I really do not know…).

• I know that classical violin is appreciated and others that are different from the standard are more "quirky" and no one will play either in the competition or on the show.

I likes my violin (but maybe it's a matter of my strange tastes, I like strange instruments, I recently bought a geigelaute Rilerr and I want to fix them so I can play them) and I do not want to sell them.

Thank you very much for the idea of contacting the Museum of Instruments at Markneukirchen and to use their forum.

• Violin are after the lute repair, replacement of the bridge, button, minor repair of the top plate and cosmetic paint.
    Luthier's opinion about the instrument: instrument in excellent condition. Precise execution and careful finishing of the instrument. Very good sound color. Very good, natural violin volume.
    The value of the instrument by the lute artist is about 3000 € (member of Polish Artists Luthiers Association) or more if purchased by the collector.